Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lying in an uncomfortable bed, covered in clothes, trash and random things, wearing a hoodie and boxers.

Recently I've been thinking a lot about my mindset towards school and my education. I remember back in middle school I was the typical asian nerd. Motivated to get not just straight A's, but straight A+'s, I would plop down next to my desk right after school and work until all my readings, assignments and studying were done. Even though my life pretty much consisted of working and sleeping, I was content with my life. Looking back now, I have no idea how I survived those years of my life. Now, I would say that I was living the 'incorrect' way and certainly needed someone to explain to me that there is more to life than just working my ass off. I'm wondering now though, lying in an uncomfortable bed, covered in clothes, trash and random things, wearing a hoodie and boxers, whether or not it is right for me to think that my way of life should be a way of life for everyone to at least some extent. It should be okay for someone to not be sociable, stay indoors and study all day, shouldn't it? As long as that individual is happy, who am I to tell him or her that he or she is living his or her life the wrong way? (whoa, lots of pronouns).

I remember having a talk similar to this with Sidd one fateful night in Willy's basement. We talked for like 4 hours... until the sun came up, just bouncing ideas off of each other. We went from topic to topic, talking about so many random things. Some of these things were pretty retarded, but some were pretty deep and thought-provoking. Some of the things that night really struck me and made me think about my view on life.

Balancing work and play has been a problem for everyone. It's so hard to get the perfect combination. It's a mixing pot where everyone always over-adds or doesn't add enough, leading to either mediocrity and fun or brilliance and boredom.

Wait though. Have I been getting this all wrong? Maybe truly brilliant people enjoy the work that they do. Maybe I'm just not smart enough or open-minded enough to realize that work can be fun, and it can give a certain sense of accomplishment and self-fulfillment that no amount of play could achieve. Maybe I should stop telling people to just have fun and start telling them to work if they feel like it.

Maybe I should start telling myself to work.

2 comments:

  1. coming from someone who doesn't even know you that well, i think you're a really talented person, and while your "i don't care" attitude is practically nick pan patented, sometimes not caring is the equivalent of giving up..and no one should ever give up

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't ever put enough effort into something for my indifference to count as giving up

    ReplyDelete